Vests for Kate

One of the things I did while I was home last week was finish up two vests for my sister.  They were last year's Christmas gift, so they're woefully overdue her.  I've had the main construction done since January -- all they needed were buttons and buttonholes (and Mum's machine does automatic buttonholes, which is why I waited and brought them home.  Mine ceased working zig-zag stitches a long time ago, so it just sits there quietly chewing up your fabric.)

Buttons from the home stash.
Well, and they needed a little alteration, too.  She changed shape since last year!  Fortunately this summer I'd had her try them on, so I knew the maroon one needed taking in at the sides and the green needed extra room in the bustline.  We did another fitting last week, just to tweak things.


Don't ask me why they needed such different alterations - they were supposedly the same size with the same finished measurements.  But whatever.

I think if you look really, really closely you can see the triangular piece I inserted in the side seam under the armhole...

Anyway, I finished them up about 1 o'clock the morning I had to leave, and I'm really pleased with how they turned out!  I got pictures from home yesterday so now I can blog about them.  Kate says the green one is her favourite and I think I agree :-)  There is also a skirt which matches the green vest, but I could not for the life of me find the zip for it so I left it unfinished.  My sister is capable of inserting her own zippers ;-P

She's also getting awfully grown up!

I'm also going to take this opportunity to brag on Kate a little bit -- look what she just finished knitting!  I think it turned out gorgeous!

Comments