I am not nocturnal

I am sorry that all my posts lately seem to be about the cat.  But when I don't have any new projects to show you, that's about all I have to write about!  (Endless hours in the practise room are not particularly interesting to any but the person practising, I find...)

So anyway.  I meant to get up at 6 AM this morning.  I have a 9 o'clock class, which means catching the 8:15 bus, and I actually wanted to take the 7:45 bus so as to get to school a little early and warm up my voice.  But Conrad had other plans.

First of all, he tends to get extremely hyperactive around 11 PM, just when I'm winding down and making my way to bed.  Last night, that took the form of doing laps around the room - up the stairs to my loft room, down the right side - POUNCE onto the bed where I was reading - down the left side - down the stairs - and back again.  This went on for a good twenty minutes.  I have no idea why jumping on the bed was a necessary part of this cycle, but there it is.

Finally he wore himself out and curled up on my feet, and I read myself asleep.  I'd been dead to the world for almost an hour - just getting to that really deep, almost drugged-feeling sleep - when a loud crash awoke me.  And I mean awoke.  It was one of those situations when you go from completely unconscious to sitting straight up in bed, entirely clear-headed.

Conrad had knocked one of my amarylis pots out of the windowsill.  (I know it was Conrad, because he was all the way on the other side of the room pretending to be innocent and confused.)  He's never touched them before, so why 1:30 in the morning seemed like a good time to him I will never know.  But it was on the floor - bulb unpotted and soil everywhere.  I spent ten minutes cleaning it up and trying to soothe the poor thing's nerves, and then another forty minutes reading myself back to a drowse again.  It was well after 2 by the time I finally fell asleep.

I remember, vaguely, turning off the 6 AM alarm and telling myself I was getting up.  I do not remember doing the same for the 6:30 alarm.  Next I knew it was 7:30 and I was turning off yet a third alarm, and the cat was yelling for breakfast.  (I'm not sure he deserved it.)  I did catch the bus, but I did not have the leisurely morning I had planned on!

Tonight, all the pots are going on the floor.  That way if Conrad knocks one over, at least it won't wake me up!