Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Finally

I thought for a while that my hair was going crazy, but it appears that I actually just have a tree growing out of my head.
It's been six months since I made this dress (it is the one I wore as a bridesmaid in my best friends' wedding), and I finally got some decent photos of it.  I've been a bit at a loss as to how to get good pictures of things I make for myself -- I haven't any family members handy to recruit.  Sunday afternoon though I went for a walk with the camera and found a useful fence post.


The pattern is Butterick 6582, which I have used previously (but apparently never blogged about).  It's very comfortable and fits well.  The pattern has a slim pencil skirt option as well; I made that version last time I used the pattern.


The weather was utterly gorgeous -- crisp but warm enough that I was comfortable in a light sweater as long as I kept moving.  There was a glorious sun and quite a brisk wind.


The dress is made of black dupioni silk, which I bought at Hancocks Fabric last summer.  The bodice neckline and arm openings are self-faced, and the dress is unlined.


 It weighs absolutely nothing and moves like a dream.


I want several of these in lightweight floral prints for summer!  So easy to wear and the skirt has such lovely movement.


(Dress: made by me.  Sweater: Old Navy.  Earrings: thrift shop. Shoes: Payless.  Hair holder: craft fair years ago gift from my aunt and uncle. Thanks to Katie for setting me straight on that!)

4 comments:

  1. These are GORGEOUS pictures! The dress is beautiful and you look beautiful in it. I love the first photo especially - didn't notice the tree until you mentioned it. ;) But on the whole it does not detract, but lends a sort of ariel royalty to the mood. I love the V shape on the back neckline. So feminine and flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - thank you! This is definitely one of my favourite dresses... the silk makes me feel like a princess :D The photos were fun, too - I'm always less self-conscious when no one else is around, so I end up with fewer weird faces and awkward poses ;-P

      Delete
  2. I had thought that the hair thing came from Auntie Jo....I have one that's the same design but different colour ;) Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat - maybe you're right. I think you are. I remember now - I used to have one in a similar style that I got at the balloon fest but I think it disappeared in the tornado. I'm glad you like the dress! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)