Saturday, 14 April 2012

A Gown for Beth


A few weeks ago a friend from Union contacted me and asked if I could make her a dress.  When she said she had in mind a floorlength, formal gown made out of seersucker I was a bit dubious, but when she sent me the fabric I began to be able to picture it and the more I worked with the dress, the more I loved it!  Also, Beth is tall and blonde and gorgeous; I was excited to make something lovely for such a lovely person!


The pattern is Kwik Sew 3400.  This pattern was nice to work with; it's printed on sturdy paper rather than the usual tissue, and the instructions were clear without insulting the intelligence of the sewer.


The dress is this pretty blue and white seersucker, lined with creamy white.  I used a white-on-white calico for the bust lining, figuring it would give a little extra body as well as being more comfortable next to the skin.  It fastens with a zipper but has a row of pearly buttons sewed down the back for decoration.


Beth wanted a little contrasting band at the top edge to give a little extra interest to the bodice.  I turned the strip on the bias, both so that it could just curve gently around the edge of the bodice, and also to get the detail of the diagonal stripes.


The whole dress is french-seamed for a smooth and lovely finish, and I used lace hem tape to finish the hem.  (The lining just got the double-fold treatment.)


I'm a little bit in love with the drape of the skirt and the train.  I'm also glad I got the chance to really use my dress form!  It was so helpful to have the form which I could dial down to exactly match Beth's measurements, and to check the fit and drape as I went along.

The gown is with Beth now!  I can't wait to see photos of her in it, and if she gives her permission I'll share them with you when I get them :-)

Edit:  I have pictures of Beth in her gown!  She said I could post them, so here you go :-)



Edit:  I have pictures of Beth in her gown!  She said I could post them, so here you go :-)  Isn't she lovely?

10 comments:

  1. Oh it's so lovely! I love the way it drapes and the train is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm in love with the drape of the skirt... it just came out beautifully!

      Delete
  2. If I could get married again, you would make my dress out of white seersucker with sapphire blue trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! That sounds lovely. And I would be honoured. (And you wouldn't *need* to get married again in order to have a white seersucker dress with blue trim... )

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I wouldn't have thought to make a dress out of seersucker, but she was right to choose it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and very old South!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking into making this dress myself, with some rather expensive fabric, eek!
    Your blog actually helped a lot, and the dress you made with seersucker makes it look like a whole different style! But I'm wondering, how much fabric did this take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad I could be helpful! :) It's been a couple years and naturally I didn't write it down, but I believe this dress (either size XS or S, I don't remember at this point) took about 6 yards of the fashion fabric, less than a yard for the bodice lining (I used cotton rather than normal lining fabric), and maybe 8 yards of lining fabric (it was narrower than the seersucker.) I hope that's useful information! Good luck with your gown - let me know how it comes out :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! thats super helpful! and super impression that you can remember :P

      Delete

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)