Utter Exhaustion...

I am so tired.  My legs, arms, and lower back ache.  I might have a sunburn.  I could just sleep for hours.

But it's all in a good cause!  I have a job!!!!  I'm working in the garden of an old lady about a mile down the road, digging, weeding, doing all the heavy lifting.  Her garden is wonderful - occupying the whole of her back yard and a good portion of the front as well, she has orderly rows of irises - rows and rows and rows! - lines of day lilies, and a wonderful confusion of flowers, both annuals and perennials, in the middle.  She's been working on this garden for 30 years, she says; used to be she did all the work herself, but now she's getting older and can't handle bending and stooping, carrying heavy buckets and managing overflowing wheelbarrows.  So I have a job :)

I enjoy it.  It's not easy work - it involves a lot of bending, and quite a bit of hot sun.  My hands are almost-but-not-quite blistered from the clippers I used for nearly an hour.  I think I will permanently have dirt under my fingernails.  But it's satisfying to look along the garden and see straight paths, newly coated in grass clippings, and edged by tidy rows of lilies that one has trimmed back oneself; to cast an eye over the iris bed and see a notable absence of weed and dead leaves.  I think I'm going to enjoy this.

And, of course - apart from the sunburn, which I'm doing my best to combat with heavy coats of sunscreen - it's very healthy work!  Outdoors, fresh air, and lots of exercise!

Comments

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like hard work, but very satisfying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You are right, on both counts! And I added some irises to my post, just for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the job, Gillian! I know from experience that gardening can be tough work, but Rachel is right... it's very satisfying. Even the sore muscles the next day feel kind of good... the feel of accomplishment, I guess!

    Wish I could pass on the blisters, though. I can't find even a remote pleasure in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-D Thanks, the irises are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)