Fruit Crumble

I've been hearing a lot lately about how eating wheat isn't that great for people, especially those who struggle with blood sugar levels.  Obviously that's a big concern for me, so I thought I would experiment with cutting out wheat for a while and see if it helps.

This is sort of difficult.  If you know me, or if you've followed my blog for a while, you'll know I make a lot of breads.... pastas... desserts.  Especially desserts.  Bread and pasta can kind of be replaced by rice and potatoes, but what about sweets?

Well, fruit is good.  (So is fudge.  Someone tell me to step away from the fudge!)  I had a lot of frozen fruit from this past summer, as well as a few apples, so I experimented with the classic fruit cobbler/crisp/crumble/whatever-you-like-to-call-it, and came up with this.



Mixed-Fruit Crumble

1 apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup other fruits, fresh or frozen (I used about equal amounts of sliced frozen peaches and strawberries, and some blueberries
1 T lemon juice
2/3 c. oats, approximately
1/8 c. sugar (brown or white, or even try honey?)
3 T butter
1/2 tsp salt (or 1 tsp kosher salt, which is what I did)
1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg

Prepare your fruit, pour lemon juice over top, and place in a smallish oven-safe dish.  In a food processor (or probably a blender would work too), whiz up the oats for a while until most are in very small pieces. (This won't be as fine as flour, and there will probably be some bits left mostly whole.  That's okay.  The texture is sort of like grits.)  Add in the remaining ingredients and process until the butter is cut in and the mixture starts to stick together.  Pour/press this over the top of your fruit, pop in a 375F oven for 45 minutes*, until the fruit is soft and bubbling and the topping is golden.  Pull out, let cool until it will no longer burn your tastebuds off, and then serve with whipped cream or simply milk or cream poured over the top.  Yummy, and healthy!

Well.  Less healthy once you put this much whipped cream on it.  It's just the angle of the photo, I promise!

*I have to admit I forgot to set a timer.  I just baked it for as long as it took to watch the next episode of Doctor Who...

Comments