Best Potato Pancakes


I think this is a first, two recipes in one week!  All my craft projects are in states of not-quite-finished-ness, so nothing much to blog about on that front.  Neither of these is very recipe-ish -- my cooking tends to be rather inexact and spur-of-the-moment.  However, here's my method for potato pancakes.  These are one of my very favourite things to make for breakfast - or really any other time of day!  I like savoury breakfast foods and these are perfect.
I may have gone a wee bit overboard with the butter.
You want to start with mashed potatoes.  One medium/large potato is plenty for a single person, so just multiply according to how many you're cooking for.  You can use leftover mashed potatoes (the easiest way) or, as I did with these, microwave a potato until cooked, then add in milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste, just as you would for regular mashed potatoes.  When you have your mash how you like it, add in a sprinkle of parsley, and mix in an egg.  (You don't need an egg per person.  If you're only doing one potato, still use a whole egg, but after that it's about one egg per two servings.)

Melt some butter in a skillet (or I suppose you could use oil or bacon fat as well, but I love the taste of butter!)  Drop in dollops of potato mash and let cook until golden brown on one side.  These burn easily so keep an eye on them -- but don't try to flip too early or they'll fall apart.  They still taste fine but they look a bit of a mess!  Flip over, flatten down a little bit, and cook until done.


Top with more butter, and salt and pepper if needed.  They're good with a sprinkle of cheese too!  I like to make these and a fruit smoothie for a really filling breakfast or a light dinner.

Comments