Fudge Factor

I'm reading through the delightful and useful book Sweater Design in Plain English by Maggie Righetti, and came upon this section, which made me giggle:


"NEVER GIVE IN TO THE FUDGE FACTOR
Definition of the Fudge Factor: I will stop eating fudge and will have lost ten or fifteen pounds by the time this sweater is finished.  Therefore, I can make it in a smaller size.

Optimism is an exemplary characteristic of human nature.  Without hope we cannot exist and, of course, we all hope for the best.  My best would be to lose ten or fifteen pounds, but I am a faster and more reliable knitter than I am a dieter.  It would be foolish for me to give into the Fudge Factor.  I hope I will lose the pounds, but I'm not betting on it.  If I do lose the weight, I can always take in width at the side seams and make the garment narrower.  Or I can give it away and proudly make another in a smaller size.  As surely as I depend on the hoped-for happening, I will gain instead of lose weight."


I have succumbed to the Fudge Factor on several sewing projects in the last few years.  I suppose it really is better to make it in a size that fits *now* than to hope and pray that your size will adapt to the size of the garment!

Comments