Random Saturday

I slept until 11:30 today.  That was so nice!

My last week at home for Christmas break I finally decided on a pattern for my recital dress and found fabric for it.  Deep red crepe-back satin, and a bias-cut sleeveless gown reminiscent of 1930s movie stars. Mmmmm.

I have more projects than I know what to do with.  My sister's Christmas outfit... several dresses and a suit for myself (I always need more "good" clothes for performances and auditions, and I've been blessed with great deals on fabric!)... the vest I'm knitting my brother... four little sundresses for a friend... more wool socks... and some more historical sewing just for the fun of it.  I think I need to make a plan of action!

My senior recital is in just over three months.  That sounds simultaneously a long time away and just around the corner.  Kind of terrifying.  And I still have a LONG way to go in learning music!

I still haven't heard back from two of the grad schools I applied to.  I've had one rejection and one acceptance, but I still have to audition there.  Prayers are appreciated!

It's supposed to snow a lot here this weekend.  I'm not sure if I believe the weather gurus... they're usually wrong... but it would be kind of fun to have a foot of snow!

A foot of snow would get in the way of my Classical Antiquity class, though.  And I do love that class.

Don't ever put an entire Scotch Bonnet pepper (HOT) in a smallish pot of bean soup.  Even with cornbread crumbled in it was searingly spicy.

My favourite part of the day here is the walk to and from classes.  I haven't measured it but I think I get in close to a mile walk every day, and it's so invigorating - tramping across the field (when it isn't too muddy), breathing in fresh air, buffeted by the wind that always blows here.

My roommate found a website that sells a TV remote that looks like a wand from Harry Potter.  I really, really want one!

.... This has certainly been random.  I think I'm going to take off and get started on some of my list of sewing!  Blessed weekend to you all :)

Comments

  1. Don't loose hope with grad schools. From my limited experience and from others I have talked to they are anything but prompt about responding to applications. Sometimes you have to get in touch with them to find out what's going on.
    Also, I really wish I could be there for your senior recital. I hate that Nebraska is so far away from all the people I want to see. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that encouragement, Nikki :) I wish you could be there too! I do understand the distance thing, though, and I'm sure I will have video to post to Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gillian - I saw your comment on Pleasantview Schoolhouse blog - whereupon I clicked over to your blog(s), and I see you are an opera-aspiring believer. Just recently, while looking for an update on a particular composer/producer, I happened upon yes another opera-singing believer, named Jennifer Shaw, and thought you might be interested. If you have time somehow, perhaps you'd like to check her site/blog. Maybe start with her music video of "God So Loved the World" (not the same tune as the choral version). Her blog/site is:
    jennifershaw.com
    The music video I mentioned is at:
    jennifershaw.com/media

    God bless you Gillian.
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by, Diane! I just read through Jennifer's biography - wow, what a story! I look forward to listening to some of her music (some evening when I'm not supposed to be writing a 5-7 page paper, maybe!) Thank you again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)