Peanut Butter Pie


I made a peanut-butter pie this week.  Not a normal activity, perhaps, for someone who's about to move house.  But then this is not an ordinary pie.

Some of you may have heard that the food-blogger Jennifer Perillo lost her husband last week to a sudden, fatal heart attack.  I had only recently begun to follow her blog and was saddened to hear the news.... her post, the night of his death, was devastating.  "He's gone.  And my heart is shattered in a million pieces."


Just a few days later, Jennifer posted a beautiful piece about her husband.  Go read it.  She talked about her husband's favourite pie and how she kept meaning to make it for him and putting it off... until it was too late.  She asked people to make this pie "for Mikey", and to share it with loved ones, and remember we never know what may happen tomorrow.  Last Friday, the day of his memorial service, was officially "a pie for Mikey" day, and thousands made that pie and posted about it.


I couldn't make peanut butter pie last Friday.  I was looking for an apartment.  But I made it yesterday; made it to remember "Mikey", who I never knew, and to share with my mum and sister, who are helping me move this weekend.  I'll serve it to them and I'll hug them extra hard, and I'll eat an extra piece for my little brother at boot camp, who loves peanut butter.  I'm so thankful for the family I've been given... and I hope I never take them for granted. 

Comments

  1. Beautiful post. What a tragedy. (as an aside, what a fabulously tasty looking pie!)

    Jenny P. (sign-in issues)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted fabulous. But eating it was sort of bittersweet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)