Grad School and a Resolution

Actually, it's two resolutions.  But I'll start with grad school.

Tuesday morning I drove up to Clarksville to audition at Austin Peay.  I met and rehearsed with my accompanist that afternoon, and spent the evening with friends from Union (he's now at Austin Peay in the music graduate program himself), catching up and getting the tour of the town.  Wednesday I sat in on some of my friend's classes, met a lot of the faculty, had a meeting/voice evaluation with one of the teachers, and did my audition.  It was a lot of fun; I got a good feel for the school, really loved the voice teacher, and felt I gave a very good audition.

Friday I got an email saying I'd been accepted!  I don't know yet about the financial aid situation, so I'm still praying for the financial side to work out so that I'll be able to attend, but I'm really excited -- partly just because I made it in, and that's a huge confidence booster for me; partly because I loved Dr. Mabry and I think APSU may end up being a really great place for me to study.

And now for the resolutions:  For a while now I've been unhappy with my physical condition.  I'm diabetic, and I don't keep as good control over my blood sugar levels as I should.  I eat pretty well, most of the time, but I'm really lacking in the exercise department.  I've made several half-hearted efforts over the last few years, but they never last longer than a month or so, and usually not more than a few days.  So this time, I've decided to actually stick with it.

I've had Jillian Michaels' "30-Day Shred" dvd for a year now, and have gone through level 1 off and on, never for more than a week or so at a time.  So this time, I decided I'm actually going to do it every day for 30 days, and I decided to start with Level 2 since it would be something new.  Today was my second day, and phew.  It's HARD.  This is not going to be easy.  But I feel better because I am actually doing something to get myself in better physical shape.  (This is not because of vanity or because I want to have that "model-thin" body - although I am not going to lie and say a slimmer body would be unwelcome!  I just feel sluggish and unhealthy and I know I can't do my best at my academic work and definitely not with my singing if my body is not in good physical health.)

I'm posting about this on my blog because I think a little bit of accountability might help me stick with it! I don't have a scale so I can't track my weight, but I took a bunch of measurements yesterday before I started and I plan to measure again at the half-way mark and after day 30.  I realised after I started that my timing is bad - I will only get in 26 days before we leave for Italy - but I will finish up after that trip.  Promise :-)

Oh, and the second resolution?  Wash my dishes immediately when I finish with them, and don't let the sink pile up!!!

Comments

  1. Austin Peay is a pretty campus; my husband's best friend lives near there. I love that part of the country :)

    Good luck on the Shred! I completely hear you about feeling worn-down and unhealthy. Working out is great for you -- mentally almost more than physically. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Conversation is what makes blogging fun :-)