They Ought to be Cranes


When I found out my best friend was expecting her first baby, I immediately knew which sweater I'd make for the new little one.  Shannon loves owls, so Owlet by Kate Davis was the obvious choice!


Well, as we all know by now, I am chronically late with gifts.  So instead of knitting a tiny sweater for a new baby born last February, I ended up knitting a toddler-sized sweater for a one-year-old - which will probably fit her better next winter than this.


I used a KnitPicks Wool of the Andes worsted, though the pattern calls for Aran weight.  Had I actually been knitting a small sweater this would have been fine, but since I sized up I ended up having to rework the pattern to produce the size I wanted with the yarn I had.

The pattern is very clear, and had I not changed all the stitch counts it would have been extremely simple.  As it was, it was still mostly simple!  I did choose not to stitch on buttons for eyes on all those owls, as I did not want them becoming a choking hazard (and I don't enjoy sewing buttons on that much!


Comments