Pretties

Guess what I got in the mail today?



The Vogue/McCalls/Butterick franchise were having a sale last week -- Butterick patterns for $1.99 and Vogue for $3.99 at their online store.  And at Hancocks the McCalls patterns were 99 cents.  So.... I stocked up!

The official reason for ordering the Vogue/Butterick patterns was to get the pattern I need as a bridesmaid's dress for this summer.  It's a Retro Butterick pattern 6582; I'll be making version C, with the full skirt.  I also found the fabric at Hancocks.  It's a pure silk duponi, lovely and light, but with the crispness of hand I was looking for.


The Vogue patterns are all ones I've had my eye on for a while, but I was waiting for a sale.  I'm so excited to own them now!



Hancocks also has this delightful rack called "Value Fabrics" - everything here is $1.95 or $2.95 per yard at regular price, and the day I was there they were having a Dollar-Off sale!  So I got enough of a soft grey knit ($0.99/yard) to make a cool, slouchy summer dress.  (I've had a white and teal striped knit in my stash for a while which I think I'm going to make up with this pattern also.)  I'm staying in Jackson this summer and it gets HOT: I figure I'm going to need a couple short, cool, lightweight, non-wrinkly items of clothing!


I also found a pretty openwork white knit that I'm going to make into a drapey cardigan sweater.  I've been wanting something like that for a while and again, at $0.99 per yard and for the pattern, who can resist?  (I'll make view B, the one on the right of the envelope.)



Other finds:  This lovely poly/rayon/wool blend suiting fabric.  There are about 2 yards of it and I think I'll make it up into a tailored skirt for the fall.  I am always needing skirts and I wear a lot of business-y clothes.

Also, 2.5 yards of a gorgeous peacock-green fabric - I think it's a polished cotton with maybe a wee bit of stretch -- for a total of $2.49.  I'm thinking a nice sheath-style dress, but we'll see.  Maybe something '40s and tailored?  I didn't take a picture of the cloth, but I know you'll see the finished product eventually :-)

I also picked up several other patterns: my favourite is another Butterick pattern from their Retro line, this one for an ankle-length robe/wrap; I can see making that up in a lawn or batiste for summer, or a wool -- or maybe corduroy? -- for winter.  It's definitely on the list of Things To Make Soon!  (The photo of that one is up at the top of this post.)  There's also one for a different style of knit dress - more formal, and it has an option for long sleeves - a good basic shirt pattern, and a men's shirt/tie/vest pattern.

I also did a lot of work on the quilt -- nearly all of the triangle half-squares and quarter-squares are done -- but I can't post pictures because I think its recipient reads my blog! ;-)  I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, too, but I haven't had anyone to take pictures so the finished projects remain undocumented.  I'm going to have to do something about that!

Hope you all had a good Monday, and stay safe if you're in the path of this line of storms!

Comments